Monday, February 4, 2013

Done! #83

♡ 83. Make hanky panks a la Pop Z for the Super Bowl.

My father-in-law was big on having pre-dinner hors d'oeuvres. There was always a bowl or tray of something to snack on. One of my favorites was something called hanky panks. I'd never eaten them anywhere other than at his home. The last time I had a hanky pank was more than six years ago. He had just died, and a family friend made some to serve at a gathering at the house he shared with my mother-in-law.

I remember meat and cheese on little rye toasts, but wasn't sure what else went into hanky panks. I also assumed these were my father-in-law's original creation since I'd never heard of them elsewhere, but an Internet search proved otherwise. Be careful you don't accidentally click on a "hanky panky" link! Totally different things! Couldn't seem to find the origin but there are a number of recipes online.

I wanted to capture the hanky pank in all its glory (as I remembered it) so I asked my ma-in-law for the recipe. She couldn't find hers so she got one from her mother. I'm guessing my father-in-law probably never had it written down. It was just his thing.

The recipe calls for ground beef, ground sausage, Velveeta cheese, a couple of spices and Worcestershire sauce.




This is what two pounds of "smooth melting American style cheese" looks like, people. It was a challenge getting the knife out of there. Also, I was tempted to throw slabs at the wall to watch it stick. Good thing I wasn't in my own kitchen.


And these, my friends, are hanky panks! I ate one too many on Super Bowl Sunday. It's the kind of thing you can only bust out once a year, and SBS with all its overindulging and wardrobe malfunctions begs for the presence of hanky panks. Thanks to the Carrel-White family for allowing me to soil their kitchen with these. I left you a whole pound of that smooth melting goodness in the fridge as a parting gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment