Saturday, January 11, 2014

The List: 2014 Edition



Oaxaca, Summer 2013


Tallied up my successes for 2013. I completed thirty-six of the things on my list and attempted fourteen. Of those attempted, I either didn't finish at all or it's ongoing. The list is updated and officially wrapped up. So, a grand total of fifty out of one hundred. Fifty percent is a failing grade, right?

The thing that wasn't on the list but that was accomplished was getting through one full year without my sister. Three hundred sixty-five days. The first year of my life with no older sister. The hardest day by far was my birthday. It felt as fresh on that day as it did in early September of last year. When I think about this year and years to come being easier there's a part of me that doesn't want it to be.

I made a new list for 2014. Some items have carried over from the previous list. I've left some spots empty for filling in later and open to suggestion! What are you doing this year?

1. Go fruit picking.
2. Throw a party.
3. Make things and send them to friends.
4. Start a conversation with a stranger.
5. Renew my passport.
6. Firecakes Donuts!
7. See the seasons mural in the kindergarten classroom at E's school.
8. Take a class / learn something new.
9. Teach E to write in cursive.
10. Make a cootie catcher. Ahem, "fortuneteller."
11. Learn to identify midwestern leaves.
12. Develop an exercise routine and stick with it.
13. Try a new food.
14. Read a classic children's book with E. I'm thinking The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
15. Explore Miami with Gina.
16. Go on a haunted Chicago tour.
17. Read and watch East of Eden.
18. Try all the fare offered by the street vendor that sets up outside E's school.
19. Read the entire Love and Rockets (or as much as I can get my hands on).
20. Do some guerrilla art.
21. Make a list of my ten most influential / life-changing books.
22. Go to Portland.
23. Pie-baking with Karen!
24. Eat one of those Ninja Turtle ice cream pops. Mmmm, bubblegum eyes!
25. Make ceviche.
26. Play a game of Risk with B.
27. Wear glittery eyeliner.
28. Make one article of clothing.
29. See live music.
30. Listen to records more often.
31. See "It's a Wonderful Life" at the Music Box.
32. Try to grow a pumpkin…yet again.
33. Volunteer with E.
34. Make a flan.
36. Make a joint zine with la Jenna.
37. Juice cleanse!
38. Read the 50 best back to school articles. For real this time. One a week should work, right?
39. Watch the entire run of the new Degrassi.
40. Read one story from The Golden Book of 365 Stories every day. (In progress)
41. Send someone a pigeon post.
42. Table at the Chicago Zine Fest.
43.
44. Read A People's History of the United States.
45. Zine anthology!
46. Eat a Philly cheesesteak in Philly.
47. See Cy in Vegas.
48. Grow garlic.
49. Make an advent calendar.
50. Go skiing.
51. Give up sugar for a TBD amount of time.
52. Teach E to make coffee.
53. Read Pura Belpre winners.
54. Learn more about coffee (roasting, drinks, etc.)
55. Finish a draft of my book.
56. Submit writing for publication.
57. Send out holiday cards.
58. Record mom talking about her life.
59. Speak Spanish to E.
60. Complete at least one zine.
61. Catch up on photo ordering. Snore.
62. Bake bread again.
63. Switch up photos currently on display.
64. Start an art journal. Be better about taking my time and being more patient when drawing.
65. Take the Empire Builder west.
66. Write thank you notes.
67. Sit outside more (as much as I feel indifferent about the outdoors).
68. Read Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea books.
69. Make a lechon for noche buena.
70. Get a new winter coat.
71. Write or draw at some point each week.
72. Make birthday cascarones for someone! Maybe you?
73. Get rid of clutter (ongoing).
74. Watch the entire "Twin Peaks" series again.
75. Discover one new musician / band.
76. Read the Mexican "Vogue" special issue on Frida Kahlo en EspaƱol.
77. Go dancing. Somewhere! Anywhere!
78.
79. Read more fairy tales.
80. More letters and postcards out into the world. Who wants mail?
81. Light a candle on the feast day of la Caridad del Cobre. (September 8)
82. One work week: no headphones on the train.
83. Eat a burger at Kuma's Corner.
84. Do something with my TIAA-CREF account already.
85. Read a George Saunders book. All the cool kids are doing it.
86. Make tamales.
87. Stockings and / or handmade gifts for Christmas (except maybe E).
88. Watch two classic films. What do you recommend?
89. Go to the top of the Sears Tower.
90. Visit Vivi's treehouse!
91. Set up a lemonade stand with E.
92. Read books from the Mexican American Studies Department's (Tucson Unified School District) reading list.
93. Get a massage.
94. More love, compassion and gratitude toward others.
95. Light fireworks!
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.

Happy new year!

3 comments:

  1. We can definitely help you with cootie catchers (V calls them the sanitized version, Fortune Tellers) and with fruit picking and with growing garlic and with SKIING and many others! No fantastic donuts though - when is that dang donut kick going to reach Madison already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love this list. I feel like I get to know you even better by reading this list. And it inspires me! Thanks for sharing this with your friends! And I cannot wait to bake pies! Maybe we can combine with a classic movie. One that I watch over and over again is Philadelphia Story. I'm a sucker for a good screwball comedy. Plus it ties in with your Philly theme. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely an inspiration! OK, I'm going to write, like, right now.

    ReplyDelete